The world stood still on Saturday, 19th May, when Meghan, DuchessofSussex and PrinceHarry, DukeofSussex, were joined in Holy Matrimony at St. George’sChapel, Windsor, UnitedKingdom. Born MeghanMarkle on the 4th of August 1981 to DoriaRagland and Thomas Markle Sr., she is an American, former actress and of course, member of the royal family.
The much-anticipated wedding was televised live. It had thousands out on the streets watching, shops selling souvenirs, and millions watching from home on their TV screens. Present at the wedding were close family, friends and small-town heroes and impact makers.
As opposed to bearing gifts, the couple picked charities to receive donations from guests. The guest list saw the presence of the Beckhams, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton, her mother, Elton John, Priyanka Chopra, Serena Williams, Oprah Winfrey, Idris Elba, Amal and George Clooney, Pipa Middleton, cast of television show ‘Suits’, James and SofiaBlunt, Kitty Spencer, Joss Stone, Charlotte Riley, Tom Hadry, Earl Spencer, Chelsy Davy and more.
What was described as a Cinderella story, put the spotlight on Meghan who was the envy of every female. Time and time again the media let the viewers know that Meghan is a self-made woman, feminist, philanthropist and a master of her craft. The fact that she is a bi-racial divorcee, freely marrying into the British Royal Family shook the world and her union with PrinceHarry proved it did not matter.
The couple truly represents modern day love. Meghan is a lot of great things, here are 20 more things you didn’t know about Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.
- Meghan was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. She was born in West Park Hospital, Canoga Park.
- Her mother is a social worker and yoga instructor and her father, a retired television lighting director. His profession led her to visit the set of ‘Married with Children.’
- Both her parents are protestants
- Meghan has two older paternal half-siblings, Thomas Markle Jr. and Samantha Grant.
- Meghan’s father descended from German and Irish settlers. Her father’s ancestors include CaptainChristopherHussey, KingRobertI ofScotland, SirPhilipWentworth and his wife, Mary Clifford, a descendant of KingEdwardIIIofEngland.
- She grew up in Hollywood and attended private schools. These schools include Hollywood Little Red Schoolhouse, Immaculate High Heart School, an all-girls Catholic school, though she identifies as protestant and NorthwesternUniversity
- At age 11, she successfully campaigned to get a company to change a national television commercial she viewed as sexist and was profiled by LindaEllerbee on NickNews.
- At University she was a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, engaged in charity work and community service and graduated with a bachelor’s degree and a double major, theatre and international studies in 2003.
- Meghan interned at the American Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina and studied for a semester in Madrid, Spain.
- She was formerly married to actor and producer Trevor Engelson
- Markle was a counselor for international charity OneYoungWorld. At the 2014 summit in Dublin, she spoke about gender equality and modern-day slavery
- She is an ambassador for World Vision Canada.
- Meghan has traveled to India to raise awareness on issues concerning women like stigmatization with regards to menstrual health.
- She has worked with the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women as an Advocate.
- Her acting career lasted 15 years
- She has a very neat handwriting and dabbles in calligraphy.
- Meghan is a food lover
- She is into indie music.
- She was once a briefcase stint on TV show Deal or no Deal
- In 2016, Meghan and Canadian clothing company Reitmansreleased a line of women’s fashion workwear.