Integrity is a quality of being honest and having strong moral values. Having integrity means that you live in accordance with your deepest values, you are honest with everyone and you keep to your word. Integrity is a highly valued trait, especially in leaders. When you live with integrity, you are more likely to be considered for important promotions and leadership positions. To develop your integrity you have to first start with identifying your core values. These would be values you would not compromise, no matter the situation you find yourself in. Next, you have to analyse every choice you make to ensure that you are doing the right thing. Next thing you have to do is to develop a culture for yourself, work on building your self confidence and self esteem, also develop relationships with others who have integrity. The trait ( integrity) is not a common one as it entails following your moral or ethical convictions and doing the right thing in all circumstances, even if no one is there watching you. Having integrity means you are true to yourself and would do nothing that demeans or dishonors you.
WHAT IS INTEGRITY
Integrity is a character that many of us value in others and ourselves, and it’s one we look for consistently in our leaders. But what does it really entail? what does it mean to possess this trait.
The dictionary defines integrity as:
1.The state of being whole and entirely undiminished.
2. A sound, unimpaired or perfect condition.
3. Adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral principles or character; Honesty.
Although the definition is sound, it can be a bit more complex to define integrity in our everyday lives. You could say that integrity is doing the right thing when faced with an awkward situation and maybe no one is looking, or even when the choice is difficult. We let our actions speak for who we are and what we stand for.
IMPORTANCE OF INTEGRITY
You do not wake up one morning a bad person,it happens by a thousand tiny surrenders of self -respect for self- interest. – American writer Robert Bra ult.
One major importance of integrity is that it is a great key to success. Everyone always admires one with great and outstanding personality and always want to work with such or have business deals with them, having integrity puts you at the top of peoples list. Another benefit of integrity is that it shows a trait of great leadership, and would make you always a candidate for leadership positions. Next is being known as a person with high integrity makes people commit things into your hands and defend you even in your absence. Integrity also makes life very easy and simple.
TIPS ON HOW TO KEEP UP THE PATH OF INTEGRITY
- Learn to take responsibility for your actions, when you make a mistake, own up to it immediately and do what it takes to handle the situation by putting things in place.
- Always keep to your words, and don’t make promises that you know you can’t keep.
- Keep your promises even if it takes extra efforts.
- In times of fear,disasters, and chaos, the temptation is even greater to make a wrong choice. Use these opportunities to demonstrate your true character.
- Go back to store, and pay for something you forgot to pay for.
- Avoid white lies. They may seem harmless, but little lies are still lies. Always say the truth.
- Do not gossip or talk badly about someone.
- Avoid appearing self-satisfied when you are acting with integrity. Stay humble and down to earth, don’t look for approval.
- Inform the cashier that you were given too much change.
- Never betray a friend’s trust even when you are in trouble.
- Avoid keeping secrets from those you love.
- Return money that you noticed was dropped without expecting a reward.
- Never engaging in conversations on how to cheat someone.
HOW TO DEVELOP AND KEEP INTEGRITY
A Japanese proverb says that ” The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour” Your reputation is very much determined by your integrity, and just as the proverb states, all it takes is a single mistake, bad choice, wrong step, to destroy a lifetime worth of integrity. But with these few steps you can work on developing and protecting your own integrity.
Define Your Values
Living by values would be a difficult task when you don’t know what you truly believe in. Therefore, start by first defining your core values. These are values that no matter what the result would be, you would not go against them.
There are some traits if one has, such person is likely to have integrity as this traits tally with integrity. such as being humble, having a strong sense of self, having high esteem, being self- confident. These characteristics are vital because, sometimes you would be under intense pressure from others to make the wrong choice. Work on building and improving these characteristics within yourself, so that you would have the ability and courage to do the right thing when the time comes. Work on developing character, spend time getting to know yourself and what you believe in. Develop friendships and work relationships with those who demonstrate integrity, and who will support your decisions.
Examine every choice you make
Most times people make bad choices, or cut corners when they notice that there is no one watching. Having integrity implies that no matter what, you will always stick to doing the right things and making the right choice: most especially when there is no one watching. You would normally know what is right and wrong, although sometimes you might need some time alone to think and figure out what the right step is. Always asks yourself some questions when you seem not convinced about a choice you want to make.
” If i do things would i be proud to stand out and say i did, and would those around me be proud also that i took this step”